Here are some things going on in the six-man world that I find interesting.
1. A few teams are dominant in their home state. Stratton-Liberty CO, Victory Millbrook AL, and Farson-Eden WY are all at least 30 power rating points higher than the second place team in their state. Animas NM and McLean TX are both more than twenty rating points higher than the teams below them.
I would love to see these teams play each other.
2. I’m always wondering how accurate our national rankings are. I know they are pretty close within each state, but what about state versus state? I think I have finally found a way to answer that question. I am setting up an event for Labor Day weekend of 2020. Hopefully, I can get nine or ten games- all being other states vs Texas. Several teams have been invited, including Farson-Eden WY, Paint Rock TX, Victory Millbrook AL, Jayton TX, Lake Author NM, Powers OR, Gordon TX, Harvard NE, Leakey TX, Pawnee Heights KS, and Borden County TX. A few have given tentative verbal commitments, but I am still waiting to hear from others. More teams will be invited soon- from North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Montana, and Texas, so stay tuned.
3. In Kansas, less than ten rating points separate the number one team from the number five team. It doesn’t look like anyone will have an easy road to a championship win.
4. Victory Millbrook (Alabama) hasn’t had an opponent good enough to test them this year. Their coach badly wants to see how good they really are. I’m not sure it’s a wise choice, but he wants to take on a highly ranked Texas team the weekend of November 10. Is anyone willing?
5. No one has been talking about Sterling City (Texas), but they are now sitting in the state’s number eight spot. If the Eagles continue winning, they won’t be flying under the radar much longer.
6. The Harvard Cardinals have worked their way to the top of the Nebraska rankings. They are only three and a half points ahead of the number two team, but this week’s spreads won’t give anyone the ability to take the top spot away from them.